Moncler S.p.A is a luxury fashion brand mostly known for its skiwear. Founded in 1952 by René Ramillon and André Vincent, Moncler took its name from the abbreviation of Monestier-de-Clermont, an Alpine town near Grenoble, France. The brand was bought by the Italian entrepreneur Remo Ruffini in 2003, who listed the company on the stock exchange in 2013.
The name is an abbreviation of Monestier-de-Clermont, a village in the mountains near Grenoble.The first quilted jackets were conceived for protecting workers from the cold. They used the jackets on top of their overalls in the small mountain establishment.
The IPO of Moncler on the Milan Stock Exchange took place on 16 December 2013, with an initial value of €10.20 per share. The shares were 27 times oversubscribed and rose 47% on the first day, resulting in a market capitalization of more than €4 billion.
In February 2018 Moncler has launched the Moncler Genius project, a new creative and business model where well-known designers create distinct collections interpreting Moncler’s identity that are released on monthly basis.
- Moncler: main line for men and women
- Moncler Enfant: kidswear collection
- Moncler Grenoble: the skiwear collection made its debut in New York in 2010 during New York Fashion Week
- Moncler Gamme Rouge: Moncler’s haute couture collection designed by Alessandra Facchinetti and then by Giambattista Valli. From 2008 to 2018, the collection was presented during Paris Fashion Week. The collaboration and collection have concluded with the Spring-Summer 2018 collection.
- Moncler Gamme Bleu: men’s collection designed by Thom Browne and presented at Milan Fashion Week. The collaboration and collection have concluded with the Spring-Summer 2018 launch.
- Moncler O: A collaboration between Moncler and Off-White c/o Virgil Abloh (Fall-Winter 2016-17 and Spring-Summer 2017 collections)
- Moncler C: A collaboration between Moncler and British designer Craig Green (Fall-Winter 2017-18 and Spring-Summer 2018 collections)
In 2018 Remo Ruffini conceived the Moncler Genius project, where designers create collections interpreting Moncler’s identity that are released on monthly basis.
The following photographers have collaborated with Moncler for institutional campaigns:
- Bruce Weber (2009–2014),
- Annie Leibovitz (2014–2018)
- Steven Meisel (Gamme Rouge-related campaigns from 2009 to 2014)
- Liu Bolin (Spring-Summer 2017 and Fall-Winter 2017-2018)
- Craig McDean (Fall-Winter season 2018–2019)
- Tim Walker (2019)
- Poldo Dog Couture (2019)